Ideally, your website would come high up the list of results on page one for a large range of Google keyword searches. Each potential customer would click on your entry in the results, land on your website, be impressed and sign up to your service or buy your products with hesitation. This is getting harder and harder to achieve as more businesses go online, more websites exist and more competition ensues. Gone are the days when just having a website and sticking a few keywords on it would bring hits. You really have to work to get a website found these days. You can do it by:
- Promoting your web address online and offline,
- Blogging, writing news posts,
- Social Networking,
- Link building,
- Online Ads,
Doing all of the above should give you a good chance but it’s time consuming and not for everyone. I find it effective but I’m in front of a computer all day anyway! What about businesses or tradesmen who rarely get to go online?
If you don’t have time to market your site and it’s not getting hits and making you money and you’re wondering why you have one and whether to keep it or not, please bare in mind the following few important points:
- For less then €100 per year (My prices!) you get to have as much information about your business as you like online 24/7. It would cost a ton more to have a tiny spec of info in something like the yellow pages,
- A Website is a great informational resource you can send people to manually/offline,
- A professional website is a mark of quality and trust for a business,
- Analyse website traffic for customer intention and trends,
- Customer service, support and information for existing clients and customers,
- Easier for others to refer business to you, ie – a web address is easier to remember than a phone number,
So if you’ve spent a relatively large amount of money on a website, please don’t let it go to waste over a few euros a year because it’s not bringing in business. It can prove very useful in many other ways.